Hi, I?m Karin from Kayjaysews and I am thrilled to have a chance to share one of my ideas here on Red Ted Art for the 31 Day of Love Series. I am a part-time researcher and part-time Mama. As a maker at heart, not many things in life give me more joy than making something with my hands ? preferably with my three-year-old daughter and from things we already had around the house. Yay for recycled crafts! I?ll show you a couple of things we have made later on, but first ? Valentine?s day ? our Heart Teabags filled with yummy Hot Chocolate!
You have probably seen or made heart-shaped tea bags before ? an idea I always loved, but I wanted to adjust it to suit the younger crowd, who are more into hot chocolate than tea.
Heart Teabags ? Valentines Hot Chocolate MATERIALS
So here?s what you need to make these for chocolate lovers big or small:
- empty loose leaf tea bags (get them here ? US/ UK (affiliate links))
- hot chocolate powder
- a teaspoon
- needle and thread (sewing machine optional)
- some cardstock
How To Make Your Heart Teabags ? Valentines Hot Chocolate
- First, we made the teabag tags. We chose hearts, but you can do any shape ? and even write a little message on it.
- Then, the filling of the teabags begins ? nice fine motor skill activity for little hands, too. I used two heaped teaspoons of hot chocolate powder per bag.
- I then sewed the bags shut just above the chocolate filling ? it?s perfectly fine to hand-sew them, too. You?ll see that I backstitched across to the centre of the bag ? then just pull the bag out, but do not cut the thread.
Choose desired length for the string (about 10cms) and then sew on the tea bag tag ? in our case the little hearts. Done!
The recipient can put it into a cup of warm milk and enjoy their very own hot chocolate.
What I like about this idea is how flexible it is ? you can make these and fill them with hot chocolate powder as we did, or loose leaf tea, of instant coffee powder, you can make them in a heart shape, you can write a message on the tag at the end of the string, or cut out the tag from your toddler?s paintings ? Please tag me on Instagram if you do this as I would love to see your versions! Love, Karin X
Please visit us on Kayjaysews for more craft ideas such as:
Return address label stickers from old gift wrap
Rainbow pegs for imaginative play and fine motor development
Kids? party ideas
Category: Gifts, Mothers Day, Sewing, Valentines